Announcing the Kick-Off of Our 2020 Community Grant Cycle
We will begin accepting Letters of Inquiry for 2020 Community Grants on Thursday, November 12, 2019. The deadline to submit a Letter of Inquiry is Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. CST/5:00 p.m. MST. A detailed description of our funding priorities and application process can be found below.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
About the Community Grants Program
Independent Financial is committed to building strong, healthy communities. A primary channel of support is through our Community Grants program, which benefits local non-profit organizations serving low-to-moderate-income families and individuals in the following areas:
Community Development — We support organizations and programs working in low- and moderate-income communities that focus on small business development, affordable housing, financial literacy, and job training.
Education — We support programs that promote academic achievement for low- and moderate-income students and facilitate merit-based access to higher education for underrepresented groups.
Health & Human Services — We support organizations that help ensure access to quality health education programs and health care in low- and moderate-income areas. We also fund basic needs assistance and childcare service when offered in tandem with other self-sufficiency initiatives.
Within these areas, we are particularly interested in funding programs that:
- Scale best practices and proven ideas or pilot promising, evidence-based programs
- Utilize sound evaluation techniques to inform program design and measure both outcomes and impact
- Demonstrate a commitment to innovation, learning, and adaptation
- Are completed in partnership, cooperation, and consultation with other agencies
- Offer an innovative and promising approach to meeting a community need
Our Application Process
Independent Financial Community Grants are awarded annually via a two-stage application process. First, interested nonprofits submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) outlining their proposed project and inquiring about the possibility of funding.
Those submitting promising Letters of Inquiry will move forward to the second stage of the application process and will be invited to submit a full proposal. If invited to submit a full proposal, funding is not guaranteed. No grant requests will be considered outside of this process.
To be eligible for funding, organizations must meet the following criteria:
- Organizations must have a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt designation from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Organizations must be located in and/or serve populations in the market areas of Independent Financial. (See Our Market Areas for more information.)
- Organizations must demonstrate fiscal and administrative stability.
- Organizations must serve low-to-moderate income individuals and/or families.
- Organizations previously awarded an Independent Financial Community Grants must be in good standing.
Limitations on Grant Funding
Grant funding is not available for the following:
- Sponsorships, events, or projects for which Independent Financial and/or its employees receive tangible benefits or privileges. This includes golf tournaments, tables at events, and other fundraising activities that include tickets, meals, or other benefits.
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other status or other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Religious organizations that are not engaged in a significant project that is nonsectarian and benefits a broad base of the community.
- Political action committees, political causes, or candidates.
- Capital costs (brick and mortar, the purchase of capital equipment, or other capital projects).
Each year our team hosts informational webinars as an opportunity for applicants to learn more about our program and ask questions they may have about the application process.
During the webinars, program staff will review funding priorities, project options, funding availability, LOI formatting, submission requirements, and the LOI evaluation methodology. Furthermore, staff will let organizations know what to expect, should they be invited to submit a full proposal.
Each webinar will conclude with a live Q&A session.
We encourage all organizations to attend a webinar before submitting an LOI.
Register to attend a webinar by clicking one of the links below:
- Wednesday, November 6, at 3:00 p.m. CST/ 2:00 p.m. MST
- Thursday, November 7, at 11:00 a.m. CST/10:00 a.m. MST
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a two-page Letter of Inquiry (LOI) via our online application portal, which will open at ibtx.com/grants on Tuesday, November 12.
The LOI should:
- Tell us about the program or project that you would like Independent Financial to consider funding.
- Include an estimate of the cost of the proposed project and the amount of funds you are seeking from Independent Financial.
- Outline the results you anticipate being able to achieve for those you serve; and how those results are aligned with Independent Financial’s funding priorities.
- Include information about your organization and its ability to implement the program or project.
- Include the names, affiliations, and roles of any project or program partners, if any.
The deadline for submitting a Letter of Inquiry is Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. CST/5:00 p.m. MST.
All applicants will be contacted via email regarding the status of their submission by Monday, February 3, 2020. Those submitting promising Letters of Inquiry will be invited to submit a formal grant proposal. If invited to submit a full proposal, funding is not guaranteed. No grant requests will be considered outside of this process.
Please email us at [email protected] with any questions.
To stay up-to-date about future funding opportunities, please subscribe to our newsletter here.
Previous Grant Recipients
- 2019 Grant Recipients
- 2018 Grant Recipients
- 2017 Grant Recipients
- 2016 Grant Recipients
- 2015 Grant Recipients
7777 Henneman Way
McKinney, TX 75070
Email: [email protected]