Unanticipated expenses or unforeseen problems can leave you with too little cash in your checking account. Having a check returned due to insufficient funds can be a costly, inconvenient, and potentially embarrassing experience.
We encourage you to manage your finances responsibly. However, we want to save you from the additional merchant fees and possible damage to your credit history that might result if a check is returned. That’s why we provide Bounce Protection, a special overdraft service for Independent Financial customers.
Overdrafts & Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices.
Standard Overdraft Practices
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of $35.00 for each overdraft item we pay.
- We will not charge you a fee for more than 5 items ($175.00) per day.
- The bank will not charge a fee for items that overdraw your account by $10.00 or less.
ATM & Debit Card Payment Authorization
If you also want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, fill out the online form below and submit it, call your local branch, or print the form in the By Mail section below and mail it to one of our branches.
Opt In/Opt Out
Fill out the Bounce Protection form and mail it back to us.